How to Seal Corrugated Metal Roof
Water penetration can cost owners big bucks when the seams of metal roofing sheets have not been sealed properly. Apply butyl tape and reinforcement mesh to every seam to ensure long-lasting, water-repelling protection. The butyl tape is reinforced by the waterproof caulk, thus preventing moisture from entering under the metal sheets. Top this off with a quality topcoat sealer to reflect heat and decrease the temperature of the metal roof. This project could save you a substantial amount of money in energy costs.
1. Clean the metal roofing sheets of all dirt and debris with a pressure washer.
2. Apply one coat of suitable primer to the metal surface. Priming ensures better adhesion of paint to the surface, increases paint durability, and provides additional protection for the material being painted.
3. Lay 75-100 mm wide butyl tape over all horizontally lapping end seams. Peel and stick the tape with the mesh backing on the top side. Position the tape over the center of the seam. Remove the release backing and begin pulling slowly at a 45-degree angle. Press the tape down onto the seam as you pull off the release backing. Tear the tape off at the end of the seam. Roll over the taped seam firmly with a small seam roller to bond it securely. Roll out any wrinkles or bubbles.
4. Apply non curing butyl sealant over all vertical metal panel seams. Position the tip of sealant gun to the center of seam. Keep moving along with seam applying sealant over vertical seam joint. Stop at the end of the joint.
5. Cut Butyl tape to 50 x 50mm size. Peel the release paper and stick the piece of butyl tape over bolts. Press the tape to ensure no air is trapped.
6. Mix reinforcement mesh with Roofcoat and embed the same over tapes and sealant applied joints. Allow the mesh to dry for 4-6 hours.
7. Apply 2 coats of ceramic spheres added elastomeric coating on the entire metal roof with an airless spray or a roller. Hollow Ceramic spheres added elastomeric coating with high solar reflective index ensures the surface temperature of Metal roof is low and protects the waterproofing system for many years from degradation.