How Roof Waterproofing is very essential before Solar Panel Fixing on Metal Roofs
A solar panel, or photo-voltaic (PV) module, is an assembly of photo-voltaic cells mounted in a framework for installation. Solar panels use sunlight as a source of energy to generate direct current electricity. A collection of PV modules is called a PV panel, and a system of panels is an array. Arrays of a photovoltaic system supply solar electricity to electrical equipment.
The usage of Solar panels (solar energy) has considerably increased in the commercial sector due to many advantages- environmental and cost benefits. The main attraction to the commercial sector is the discounted electricity bills which indeed helps them to save a huge amount of money over the long run.
Problems in Metal Roofs
Metal roofs especially aged ones will have many problems. Some of them are:
- End Lap joints movements/cracking
- Side Lap joints cracking
- Sheet Damages
- Sheet sagging
- Skylight Damages
- Ridge/Expansion Cover Damage
- Gutter Damages
- Rusting of Roof
- Missing Bolts/Rivets
- Presence of incorrect or old waterproofing system
- Flashing damage…etc.
All the above-mentioned problems will lead to roof leakages. These problems have to be rectified before proceeding with Solar Panel Fixing as it can lead to number of disasters.
Waterproofing of Metal Roof
Waterproofing of metal roofs involves the rectification of all the problems mentioned above thereby ensuring the roof is water tight and has no leakage issues. This is very essential before Solar Panel installation as it provides long life to the roof and avoids huge maintenance cost. This ensures the roof protection while solar panel fixing and gives peace of mind to both Solar panel contactor and to the facility owner.
Waterproofing methodology plays a very important role in the ensuring a fool-proof waterproofing of Metal Roofs. Incorrect methodology will not only protect the roof but instead may lead to further roof damages which will call for huge maintenance cost.
Fixing Solar Panels without waterproofing can lead to a number of problems. Some of them are as follows:
- Water Leakages: Absence of a quality waterproofing system will lead to water leakages from the roof.
- Waterproofing before Solar Panel fixing: In the case of Solar Panel installation on metal roofs, it is always advised to carry out waterproofing works before the mount fixing for solar panel installation. Any waterproofing works after installation will call for the Solar panels to be removed which indeed results in huge time-delay, manpower & high-cost involvement.
- Sheet sagging/ damage: Fixing solar panels involves installers walking frequently on the roof. This will lead to sheet sagging or damage.
- Sheet movements or Joint cracking: At the time of installation, damages can occur to the joints because of manpower involved. The weight of the Solar panels also plays a very important role.
- Damage during Panel maintenance: Solar panels should be maintained or cleaned from time to time to ensure complete productivity. This involves physical access to the roof by the maintenance team which can lead to damages.
- Professional Maintenance: Solar panels are usually installed for a long period of time (10 years to 25 years). This involves professional involvement of a waterproofing contractor to ensure the roof remains damage free and the facility is protected for the whole period….and many more
Once the waterproofing works and repair works are completed, mounts will be bolted to the sheets for laying down solar panels.
Once the mount is fixed to the sheets, an inspection will be carried out by the Thermilate team to assess any damages to the waterproofing and to rectify it immediately. Finally, the Solar panels will be fixed to the mounts and made functional.