Solar Panel Roof Waterproofing
How Roof Waterproofing is very essential before Solar Panel Fixing on Metal Roofs
A solar panel, or photo-voltaic (PV) module, is an assembly of photo-voltaic cells mounted in a framework for installation. Solar panels use sunlight as a source of energy to generate direct current electricity. A collection of PV modules is called a PV panel, and a system of panels is an array. Arrays of a photovoltaic system supply solar electricity to electrical equipment.
The usage of Solar panels (solar energy) has considerably increased in the commercial sector due to many advantages- environmental and cost benefits. The main attraction to the commercial sector is the discounted electricity bills which indeed helps them to save a huge amount of money over the long run.
Problems in Metal Roofs
Metal roofs especially aged ones will have many problems. Some of them are:
- End Lap joints movements/cracking
- Side Lap joints cracking
- Sheet Damages
- Sheet sagging
- Skylight Damages
- Ridge/Expansion Cover Damage
- Gutter Damages
- Rusting of Roof
- Missing Bolts/Rivets
- Presence of incorrect or old waterproofing system
- Flashing damage…etc.
All the above-mentioned problems will lead to roof leakages. These problems have to be rectified before proceeding with Solar Panel Fixing as it can lead to number of disasters.
Waterproofing of Metal Roof
Waterproofing of metal roofs involves the rectification of all the problems mentioned above thereby ensuring the roof is water tight and has no leakage issues. This is very essential before Solar Panel installation as it provides long life to the roof and avoids huge maintenance cost. This ensures the roof protection while solar panel fixing and gives peace of mind to both Solar panel contactor and to the facility owner.
Waterproofing methodology plays a very important role in the ensuring a fool-proof waterproofing of Metal Roofs. Incorrect methodology will not only protect the roof but instead may lead to further roof damages which will call for huge maintenance cost.
Fixing Solar Panels without waterproofing can lead to a number of problems. Some of them are as follows:
- Water Leakages: Absence of a quality waterproofing system will lead to water leakages from the roof.
- Waterproofing before Solar Panel fixing: In the case of Solar Panel installation on metal roofs, it is always advised to carry out waterproofing works before the mount fixing for solar panel installation. Any waterproofing works after installation will call for the Solar panels to be removed which indeed results in huge time-delay, manpower & high-cost involvement.
- Sheet sagging/ damage: Fixing solar panels involves installers walking frequently on the roof. This will lead to sheet sagging or damage.
- Sheet movements or Joint cracking: At the time of installation, damages can occur to the joints because of manpower involved. The weight of the Solar panels also plays a very important role.
- Damage during Panel maintenance: Solar panels should be maintained or cleaned from time to time to ensure complete productivity. This involves physical access to the roof by the maintenance team which can lead to damages.
- Professional Maintenance: Solar panels are usually installed for a long period of time (10 years to 25 years). This involves professional involvement of a waterproofing contractor to ensure the roof remains damage free and the facility is protected for the whole period….and many more
Once the waterproofing works and repair works are completed, mounts will be bolted to the sheets for laying down solar panels.
Once the mount is fixed to the sheets, an inspection will be carried out by the Thermilate team to assess any damages to the waterproofing and to rectify it immediately. Finally, the Solar panels will be fixed to the mounts and made functional.
Enhancing Solar Efficiency with Cool Roof Technology
Recent studies have indicated a promising enhancement in solar panel efficiency, particularly for bifacial photovoltaic systems, through the use of cool roof coatings. This advancement, detailed in a study by Spanish and Algerian researchers in the December 2023 edition of the Journal of Building Engineering, presents a significant opportunity for optimizing solar energy systems.
Cool roofs utilize reflective coatings with high emissivity in the thermal infrared range. This technology not only reduces a building’s internal temperature but also minimizes the energy required for cooling. Additionally, it plays a crucial role in mitigating the urban heat island effect.
The use of cool roofs has been recognized for its potential to generate substantial economic savings. This is particularly relevant when considering their impact on bifacial photovoltaic systems, which have received limited study until now.
Researchers conducted their study using three photovoltaic systems with bifacial modules on the GAIA Building’s terrace in Barcelona. These systems were compared over a period from April 2020 to November 2021, against a monofacial array. The key finding was that bifacial modules installed above cool roofs showed an 8.6% higher yield compared to their monofacial counterparts.
Implications for Solar Systems
The study underscores the dual benefits of cool roof coatings: enhanced energy yield from solar panels and reduced energy consumption for building cooling. This is particularly effective in solar systems with large row spacing, where the floor is extensively exposed to sunlight.
Adopting Cool Roof Coatings
Our solar waterproofing services now incorporate this cutting-edge cool roof technology. By applying these coatings to existing bifacial rooftop installations or integrating them into new setups, we can significantly boost the efficiency of both the building and its solar array.
Dual Advantages for Your Solar Investment
Adopting cool roof technology offers a pragmatic, cost-effective solution with dual advantages. It enhances solar power yield while concurrently reducing cooling costs, leading to economic benefits and a more sustainable footprint.
Embrace the Future of Solar Energy
Thermilate is committed to integrating these latest scientific findings into our solar waterproofing services, ensuring our clients benefit from the most advanced, efficient, and sustainable solar solutions available today.
Bringing Science to Your Rooftop: Maximize Efficiency with Our Solar Waterproofing Services.