In 2015, a group of experts from D.C Taylor Co revealed the most common roof problems they have witnessed in their careers. From Shrinkage to Roof Leaks, the article explained the top ten roofing issues. As roofs are coats immune to deterioration, owners must take adequate steps to prevent damage. Although reroofing is necessary for some situations, a roof coating is another feasible option. Apart from the easy application, there are several other reasons why roofing contractors prefer coatings. Some of the many benefits are:
- Versatile: Modified Bitumen, Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM), Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC), and Thermoplastic Polyolefin (TPO) are the generic roof membranes found in the market. Although each is unique in its ways, a roof coating can cover virtually any of these various roof types. An essential factor to consider in roof maintenance is roof type. As each roof is different, owners & contractors must take appropriate steps to ensure maximum protection. However, because of the roof coating’s versatility, they have more coating options, offering higher flexibility.
- Eco-Friendly: The American Institute of Architects Journal or the Architecture Magazine had conducted a detailed comparison of reroofing and roof coating. The article described how the massive waste generated during reroofing was a growing concern within the industry. According to the Sacramento-based California Integrated Waste Management Board, approximately 11 million tons of waste (as asphalt roofing shingles) are generated in the U.S. each year. Therefore, it comes as no surprise that coating is an environment-friendly alternative. Since coatings are sustainable, low or zero VOC, and can qualify for LEED, restoring an existing roof is preferred over reroofing.
- Inexpensive: Roof coatings are an excellent way to convert a roof into a reflective roof. As reflective roofs reduce surface temperature, coatings eventually minimize cooling costs. Ahmadabad and Hyderabad, cities from India, conducted an innovative cool roof study project in 2017 and 2018. With over 3,000 rooftops coated, they successfully reduced the temperature by 30°C and reduced the indoor heat by 2 to 5°C.
- Durable: Although roofs degrade with time, roof coats can definitely minimize repairs, fix leaks, seal cracks, and overall extend the life of the roof.
- Minimal Interruptions: Since most coatings contain low or zero VOCs, offices can continue to operate while the roof is being repaired.
In conclusion, roof coatings allow owners to restore their roof at a fraction of the cost. They receive an eco-friendly, versatile, and durable roof at an affordable price. Work closely with your contractor to ensure that the best coating is applied correctly to achieve maximum results.
Versatile: Acrylic elastomeric roof coatings are safe and can cover virtually various roof types. An essential factor to consider in metal roof is roof maintenance. As each roof is different, owners & contractors must take appropriate steps to ensure maximum protection. However, because of the roof coating’s versatility, they have more solutions, offering higher flexibility.